A relatively young upstart in the world of running and hiking shoes, Altra was founded by two high school running buddies, Brian Beckstead and Golden Harper, with the aim of making shoes built for the way people naturally run.
After testing prototypes in grueling races, the brand released the Instinct (men’s) and Intuition (women’s), Altra’s first shoes, in 2011. Today, Altra has become a popular choice among athletes, marathoners, hikers, and people looking for good quality footwear.
Known by hardcore trail runners for their zero-drop, ergonomic trail shoes like the Lone Peak and Altra Timp series, Altra trail shoes are gaining more popularity among regular off-road enthusiasts and long-distance trail runners.
To help you search for the right model to suit your needs, we take a look at 3 of Altra’s best hiking shoes for women.
Altra Lone Peak 6
- Midsole: Altra EGO™
- Outsole: MaxTrac™
- Cushion: Moderate
- Stack Height: 25 mm
- Drop: 0mm
- Upper: Quick-Dry Air Mesh
- Signature FootShape™ comfort gives your feet more space to sit naturally and is designed to address biological differences in men’s and women’s feet.
- Original Altra EGO™ foam is designed to provide added energy return and a responsive, yet soft, comfortable feel.
- Grippy MaxTrac™ outsole provides the perfect combination of grip, traction, and durability on all types of terrain.
- GAITERTRAP™ hook-and-loop tab allows our strapless gaiter to easily attach to the shoe.
- TRAILCLAW™ canted lugs on the outsole are strategically placed beneath the metatarsals to provide added traction underfoot.
- Balanced Cushioning™ platform positions your heel and forefoot at an equal distance from the ground, encouraging better alignment and better form.
- American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) Seal of Acceptance, awarded to products found by the Association to promote good foot health.
The Lone Peak the first Altra trail shoes, and it continues to be a top contender. The Lone Peak 6 has that classic wide foot shape with a sturdy upper, excellent lacing, and a promising grip, making it perfect for those hiking adventures. Check out the best Altra Lone Peak 6 deals available right now.
Reasons to Buy Altra Lone Peak 6
- Fits true to size
- Excellent all-round grip
- Highly durable
- Great ground feel
- Improved fit and flexibility in the upper
- Available in wide sizes
Reasons to Avoid Altra Lone Peak 6
- Stain magnet
- Not enough cushioning for some
- Midsole cushioning not as supportive for some users
- Lack of spring in the ride of the shoe
The original Altra Lone Peak entered the trail running world around 8 years ago as Altra’s flagship trail shoe.
Named after the rugged Lone Peak found in the Wasatch Range, the shoe instantly became popular as an all-around option for everything from trail races to ultra-marathons to long thru-hikes. And with the Altra Lone Peak 6, the Lone Peak legacy continues.
The Altra Lone Peak 6 carries on the tradition by offering a spacious fit and a responsive platform that still is better suited to wider feet. Altra also made notable changes on the upper, including ditching some overlays and adding midfoot lacing for a more flexible feel and an improved fit.
The big highlight for most users is the MaxTrac outsole, which delivers a good grip on wet rocks and loose dirt. All in all, this Altra Hiking shoes womens is a great entry point into the world of zero-drop style trail running shoes.
Altra Olympus 5
- Rubber sole
- Original Footshape™ Fit is designed to address biological differences between men’s and women’s feet
- Balanced Cushioning™ Platform
- Compression-molded EVA midsole for comfort and support
- Vibram MegaGrip outsole with aggressive, multi-directional Trailclaw™ lug pattern
- Gaitertrap™ heel tab
- An engineered mesh upper
- InnerFlex midsole technology to increase flexibility
- Original Altra EGO MAX foam is designed to provide light and luxurious performance with a little extra bounce and added durability
- Balanced Cushioning places your heel and forefoot the same distance from the ground to encourage proper, low-impact form throughout your run
- The Vibram MegaGrip sticky rubber offers unparalleled grip on both wet and dry surfaces, rugged longevity, and optimal ground adaptability
Made of durable, engineered mesh and with a deeper and slightly roomier upper than other Altra trail shoes, the Altra Olympus 5 is definitely worth checking out for anyone who’s looking for Altra hiking shoes! Check out the best Altra Olympus 5 deals available right now.
Reasons to Buy Altra Olympus 5
- The Upper is a nice refinement from the Olympus 4
- Midfoot fit is dialed
- Plenty of cushioning but still stable
- Vibram outsole in all the places you want
- Grippy on wet and dry trails
Reasons to Avoid Altra Olympus 5
- Laces are too short
- Fit is too tight / they run small
- Doesn’t have noteworthy bounce or spring
- Some runners may find the zero-drop design uncomfortable
The Altra Olympus 5 is an excellent hiking shoe that offers superior comfort and energy return. It features a cushioned midsole and a responsive midsole, which provides you with a comfortable and stable ride.
The midsole of this Altra hiking shoes is also designed to promote a more natural foot strike and provide ample cushioning.
All in all, the Altra Olympus 5 ticks almost all the boxes when it comes to excellent hiking shoes. It’s lightweight but durable and comfortable but supportive. It also has a grip that will keep you steady on even the most challenging trails. Best of all? It looks great, too!
Altra Superior 4
- Insole: 5 mm Contour Footbed
- FootShapeTM Toe Box with Fully Cushioned Zero Drop PlatformTM
- Stack Height: 21 mm
- Midsole: Altra QuanticTM
- Outsole: MaxTracTM Rubber with TrailClawTM
- Upper: Seamless wrap-around engineered knit
- Insole: 6 mm Contour Footbed with removable StoneGuard™
- FootShape™ Toe Box with Fully Cushioned Zero Drop™ Platform
- Stack Height 21mm
- Midsole: Quantic ™ with InnerFlex™
- Outsole: MaxTrac™ with TrailClaw™
- Upper: Wrap-Around Knit
The Altra Superior 4 is an excellent choice when it comes to Altra hiking shoes. It is suitable for fleet-footed runners seeking a minimalist feel with good protection. Check out the best Altra Superior 4 deals available right now.
Reasons to Buy Altra Superior 4
- Comfortable and lightweight
- Huge toe box
- Comes with a rock-plate insert that’s removable
- Provides good traction on most types of terrains and surfaces
- The cushioning system of these Altra trail shoes encourages proper foot positioning and reduces the impact generated during pronation
- Best for moderate trails, technical trails, rocky areas, muddy areas, through snowy or icy sections
Reasons to Avoid Altra Superior 4
- Offers little cushioning
- The sizing runs a bit small
- Some users note that they can be quite slippery in the rain
The Altra Superior 4 is exactly as advertised – a lightweight Altra hiking shoes for womens that performs well in a variety of trail conditions. The Altra Superior has always been a lightweight and minimally cushioned trail shoe, and this version of the shoe is more of the same.
As with all Altra hiking shoes, the Superior 4 features a foot-shaped toe box that allows your toes to splay with each stride to improve your stability naturally while running. The shoe is also built on a zero-drop platform, which is standard with all Altra models.
All in all, the Altra Superior 4 is a great shoe to have in your collection. The shoe is designed to be light and fast, and it delivers!
The Bottom Line
Whether you’re an experienced hiker or just starting out, these Altra hiking shoes for women are definitely worth checking out. Not only do they look great, but they also offer excellent features that you’d look for in a great hiking shoe.