Originally used in hospitals and medical units, pulse oximeters are steadily making their way to gyms and fitness centers. Most individuals use oximeters for measuring the oxygen saturation level in the blood, but they can also be used for monitoring your pulse rate and heartbeat. Thus, the best pulse oximeter for exercise is a useful tool to measure fitness levels and help you make the most of your workout sessions.
Gaining high levels of endurance is one of the primary goals of athletes, and their performance is drastically improved when the oxygen levels are consistently maintained. So, when an athlete uses pulse oximeters during workouts, it allows them to track their oxygen level.
Upon assessing the level, they can make the required adjustments so that they get equalized oxygen flow throughout the workout sessions. This tool is also handy for individuals who have to climb high altitudes as it plays a major role in avoiding hypoxia. With such great importance, we looked into three different pulse oximeters designed for exercise.
Best Pulse Oximeter for Exercise: Brief Reviews
We searched the market and found these devices that can help you achieve more consistent levels of workout while enjoying.
1. Zacurate 430-DL Premium Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
Zacurate 430-DL Premium Fingertip Pulse Oximeter is an easy-to-use, accurate, and reliable device. Tailored for mountain climbers, hikers, skiers, and sports enthusiasts, this oximeter is useful for anyone who is looking to measure their blood oxygen saturation levels (SpO2) and pulse rate. Powered by improved LED and high-end sensors, it will give accurate readings even during low blood perfusion levels.
The Zacurate Fingertip Pulse Oximeter comes with plenty of features, including:
- Multi-directional display: This pulse oximeter gives you a numerical representation of your pulse strength, which can be viewed in multiple display directions.
- Easy to carry: Since this oximeter is small and compact, you can carry it everywhere. s
- Plethysmograph waveform: This device is powered by plethysmograph that gives a visual representation of your heartbeats, while also letting you check the amount of blood that’s flowing through your blood vessels. What’s more, it’ll also help you to determine the right time for taking a heartbeat or pulse reading.
- Adjustable OLED brightness: The brightness of this oximeter can be manually adjusted by pressing and holding the power button. As you do this, your preferred level of brightness will be automatically reflected on the OLED screen.
- Easy to operate and carry
- Gives visual representation of your heartbeat
- Pulse strength viewable in different angles
- Manually adjustable screen brightness
- May not give consistent readings
- Requires frequent battery change
- Can take some time to generate the readings
2. Accumed CMS-50DL Blood Oximeter
The Accumed CMS-50DL Blood Oximeter is an excellent device for getting quick and accurate readings of your pulse rate and blood oxygen levels. You can get your results in little as eight seconds, and each of these readings is reliable and highly accurate. Operating this oximeter is quite simple, and it also consumes lower power in every single operation.
This device is powered by several useful features, and some of the most notable ones are:
- Easy operation: Using this blood oximeter is extremely easy. Simply align your finger on the red light of the device, and it’ll soon generate the reading in eight to 10 seconds.
- Accurate detection: This device will accurately determine your oxygen saturation (SpO2) levels. It’ll also display your pulse rate and pulse intensity in a bar graph. There’s also a feature that’ll determine the strength of your pulse in the form of waves.
- Lesser power consumption: Powered by two AAA batteries, this oximeter will automatically power off if it’s inactive for five seconds. What’s more, it also gives you up to 32 endless hours of battery life.
- Compact and lightweight: With a weight of only 50 grams (including batteries), every oximeter from Accumed comes with a nifty travel case that protects it from potential scratches as you carry it in your gym bags or luggage. It doesn’t take up much space, as it only has a dimension of 3x1x2 inches.
- Easy and simple operation
- Clear display
- Consistent and extended battery life
- Doesn’t give accurate readings to people with thicker fingers
- Takes some time to generate the readings
- Isn’t as durable as advertised
3. Santamedical SM-150 Pulse Oximeter
The Santamedical SM-150 Pulse Oximeter is a newly upgraded product that gives precise readings of your pulse rate and blood oxygen saturation level.
Featuring a self-adjusting finger clamp, this device is straightforward to operate. Also, since it is portable and compact, handling it is even easier. Tailored for athletes, pilots, and sports enthusiasts, this is a simple, affordable, and convenient tool.
The Santamedical SM-150 Pulse Oximeter is said to offer plenty of useful features. Some of the things we found include:
- SpO2 value up to 100%: In many cases, the SpO2 value in this oximeter reaches 100%, and it gives accurate results even if the value ranges between 95% and 100%.
- Advanced LED: The LED of this device is bright and highly advanced. This means you can check the readings even in low light. So, whether you’re out during a sunny day or inside a dark room, the display will give you clear readings.
- Easy to operate: This device is easy to use on your fingertips for getting accurate readings of your pulse rate and blood oxygen saturation levels. It also comes with a product manual, that helps you understand how exactly to operate the oximeter.
- Completely hypoallergenic: The latex-free finger chambers of this oximeter are crafted from hypoallergenic, medically permissible silicone.
- Easy to use
- Safe to be used by individuals with allergies
- Accurate readings
- Can be used in bright and dark places
- Can be slightly bulky
- Numbers tend to jiggle
- Readings of oxygen saturation levels can fluctuate
While each of these pulse oximeters is equally useful, the Zacurate 430-DL Premium Oximeter stands out. Meeting the required FDA standards, this device is easy to use and extremely reliable. Owing to its newly upgraded LED sensor, this device can track your oxygen saturation levels even during low blood perfusions.
Suitable for all ages, this oximeter comes with a finger chamber that’s powered by a Smart Spring System. It also comes with the required batteries and an 18-month manufacturer’s warranty.
Overall, it is packed with every feature you’d need from a pulse oximeter, so we’re quite sure this device will help you make the most of your workout sessions.
Meta: Looking for the best pulse oximeter for exercise? We reviewed three units to help you out!